View Single Post

Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 AM

Liked 93 Times in 66 Posts

9mm is probably the toughest versus a normal price compairison to justify to yourself getting in to reloading. At this time who knows what normal will become though. While I dont reload 9mm either, I could easily add it.

Where you see big cost savings is in handgun rounds like the 44 Mag, or in 45 ACP, or even in 38 and in 38 wadcutters. They are up to about $40 for a box of 38 wadcutters that you can make for $6 to $8. The factory wadcutters are hard to find regularly too.

When the cost of 500 Winchester 223 was $80 I did not load. Bit now the cost is approaching $500 for 1000. So there are savings there. For normal high quality hunting rounds the cost is approaching $40 for a 20 round box. And can be much more.
You can load a lot of those for $10 a box. And when you get in rifles like a 416 then you are talking about $7 or $8 a shot. If I use premium bullets I can do it for $1.

But a big part of loading is that you can load what your guns shoot well. And you can adjust loads. You can make 44 rounds that small women can easily fire if you want to.

Also as has been pointed out, you dont have to rely solely on ammo that might or might not be on the shelves. Today, and going forward, that might be a good thing.