View Single Post

Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked 3,387 Times in 1,107 Posts

I had graduated from college and was looking for a job. Short version: I had two (2) firm job offers on the table. 1. Become a budget analyst. 2. Become a cop.

Literally had to make the final decision over the course of one weekend. Chose to become a cop. It was the best 30.5 years of my life. Saw and did things I never imagined. Chased bad guys, helped good people, saw a whole lot of the United States (on the job in forty-six (46) states), and had more fun than any of my other friends who were not cops.

Much of my career (due to promotions) was in command and executive positions, but the vast majority was operational...not administrative.

Worked all the OT I could find in my "youth" and was more than fairly compensated. (Note: If you locked up criminals, 2nd and beyond court appearances were OT if you were off-duty at the time. And with weekday days off, that was likely.)

In the later years of my career I was very well paid...but NO overtime allowed...salary capped. My retirement plan ended in 1978 but incumbents were "grandfathered." I am blessed to be able to enjoy my retired years in style.

One final note: I WOULD do it again regardless of the state of salary/benefits.

Be safe.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: