View Single Post

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Liked 441 Times in 131 Posts
Default Governor fires Judge...finally Taurus free... Governor review

I really like and have used the shotgun pistol the last few years. I have killed large farm animals to small game and several in between. I like the versatility and use it often as a trail gun. The shotgun pistol is like fire,...scary at first to those who dont understand it but incredibly useful when you learn how to use it correctly. My dealer finally got in a few Governors and I saw the perfect chance to trade in my Taurus Public Defender on the much better built Governor. The Taurus was nice but lacked the feel and fit and finish of the S&W. There is just no denying the better build quality so I finally got rid of my last Taurus that was hanging around..

A few comparisons I noticed was the weight was almost exactly the same but the S&W can shoot 6 rounds over the 5 in the Public Defender. The Gov is a bit bigger but not enough to change the carry modes I use. The tritium sight is clean, fast and effective. The new S&W grips are outstanding and I loved them on my 629 so I was thrilled they came on the Gov. Trigger pull was crisp and clean. Cylinder gap was tight and lock-up was typical S&W.

Accuracy was mind blowing........... I can easily shoot 45lc Silver Tips in a 1" group at 20 yards point of aim was dead balls on and I wouldn't hesitate taking a head shot at 20 yards. I couldn't ask for more with a 6" 686. I am simple amazed. Don't be surprised if you see me take a whitetail with this next year with appropriate 45lc. Federal 000buck prints a tighter pattern in the Gov than the Judge. Think tennis ball size at 10 yards. Point of aim was the same as the 45lc so it was dead nuts perfect. I didn't get a chance to shoot 45acp with the moon clips and to be honest, the 45lc were so good, I may not ever carry it with 45acp. Overall the gun carries easy in my shoulder rig and in its Desantis leather holster. Taurus may have brought it to the market first, but S&W perfected it. It is a mean looking sidearm with the power and precision to back it up. I should have fired the Judge sooner.

Here are some carry options I am using. DeSantis is the leader in leather holsters for the Governor and makes the S&W brand holsters you buy on the S&W site. I love a good leather shoulder holster and DeSantis makes a good one. It is called the NY Undercover specifically for the S&W Gov.

High quality leather and superb fit and finish. The Governor is not a heavy gun but I carried it for 8 hours in the woods and never felt the gun.

I was on my ATV today and totally forgot I was wearing my Gov. It has a ammo holding system that will hold 6 rounds either 45lc/45acp or shot shells or a mix of the two. I can easily conceal the Gov under a light sweat jacket without any printing.

Next is the DeSantis Scabbard hip holster.
This is a neat design because it is molded around the entire gun protecting it in the brush. It retains the gun very well without any straps in a fishmouth opening. It carries high enough for concealed carry and is molded to every curve of the gun.

There are some nylon options but they are more designed for a medium size revolver. I had a few that worked but nothing beats a specifically designed high quality leather rig.

Last edited by TheMystro; 01-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.
The Following 37 Users Like Post: