View Single Post

Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewisc View Post
Guess I'll be shooting less and complaining more.
That works for me!

Just to be clear about it, with the shortages we're seeing, Dicks and WalMart not ordering won't do much to the suppliers. They're cranking out all the ammo they can. What the buying surge did was empty the pipeline. All the supply chains did the obvious. They stepped up deliveries as orders were received. Its what they do for a living.

Keep in mind the factories are still operating, and probably putting in some OT when they can. So the pipelines are still getting ammo, just no where near enough to fill back up. If two big "takers" aren't ordering, its probably a good thing because the small guys will get their orders faster.

As I understand the 22 situation, WalMart is the only place that gets certain packs. The big example is Federal 550s. Everyone else gets Federal 525s. If you see a shooter with the 550s, he got them at walmart. If you see them at a gun show, someone went WallyWorld shopping to sell at a profit. I'd guess any ammo in the pipeline destined for WalMart will go there and be sold. Ammo isn't a dirty word out in the fly over country (where most of us live.) I'd think the Federal ammo factories have been listening to the news. If Walmart doesn't want anymore, the factory won't be packing or shipping 550s. The ammo is the same in 525s. No difference except walmart shoppers get 25 more shots per pack. The guys who work in scheduling will just bump the 550s until the situation stabilizes.

This isn't brain science. Factories do what is in their best interest. Our lowly American consumers have done that, too. Its why the shelves are empty. We bought it up at the "old" low price. The free market will soon establish a new price level, and it won't be lower.