View Single Post

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM

Liked 26,311 Times in 9,122 Posts

Lee 1 and 2 cavity moulds are probably the best value in casting today. I had a 9mm 6 cavity Lee mould that failed in the first few hundred rounds. I have a Lee 2 cavity 45 SWC that was bought used 25 years and 15000 or so rounds ago. On Lyman and other steel moulds avoid rusted or "frosty" looking cavities! Also on the alloy you use; Lyman #2 is what all their moulds are weight rated in, softer alloys are usually needed and they weigh more. Pure lead and super soft alloies like 30:1 and 20:1 are too soft for most modern loads and should be saved for black powder. When melting lead there are some common sence things to remember: 1) lead is poisonious and very hot when melted, BE CAREFUL! 2) Use good ventalation!, 3) Keep your hands out of your mouth- that includes cigarettes. The back stop at the range is a good source of lead, but it may ne soft lead from jacketed bullets and need tin and atomony to harden it up. The "junk" of the top of the lead pot is somewhat hazardious and needs disposed of accordingly, I keep it in 2 and 3 pound steel coffee cans and give it to metal alloy companies to reuse. DON'T PUT IT IN THE TRASH!!! Same goes for the clips from melted down wheele weights. I know this stuff sounds like a major pain, but it isn't that hard and casting is a lot of fun. Almost all the expense is upfront and moulds last for centuries, I have a 44cal. round ball mould from the 1850's. Have fun! Ivan