View Single Post

Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Liked 1,447 Times in 670 Posts

I know some people want to get their Adam Smith on, but flippantly throwing around the term "capitalism" with only a cursory understanding of the theory doesn't exactly help win minds or hearts. (This obviously doesn't apply to you if you are, for example, a student of economists like Milton Friedman. But I digress...)

The fact of the matter is that people are buying scores of ammo because of recent concerns over how the current administration was going to respond to the Newtown tragedy. Some, shall we say, more "unscrupulous" sellers picked up on this and pushed the envelope by raising their prices beyond what the general consensus would define as "reasonable" to see if some were "desperate" enough to pay the exaggerated asking prices. Sad to say, some people fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Is it "right"? Arguably not. Is it illegal? Sadly, no. Are the offending sellers going to heed their consciences and stop being greedy? I wouldn't count on it... In a situation like this, it's best to stay calm, not fall into the panic mindset, and take your business to sellers who don't engage in this sort of behavior. It's going to be inconvenient having to "shop around," but good deals are still to be had if you look hard enough.

Truth be told, I had a whole truckload of 9mm ammo I wanted to get rid of a while back, Speer 124 gr. +P Gold Dot and Winchester 147 gr. RA9T to be exact. I could've waited to sell it now, charged outrageous prices for it and probably have gotten away with it by virtue of the simple fact that it was all properly stored "duty" ammo in 50 rd. boxes. But you know what? It wouldn't have sat well with my conscience to fleece people who are panic buying.

Now, to add to the nuttiness, SGAmmo is selling out of cases of the Winchester Treasury Load. Yes, the TREASURY LOAD. I've been keeping an eye on their .38 Special inventory and it seems that this is what desperation will do to some people. In fact, I'd be willing to hazard a guess that it's sold out as I speak.

So, yeah... Enough of the "capitalism" references already.