Thread: 22lr
View Single Post

Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 AM

Liked 6,257 Times in 2,328 Posts

Keep your eyes open and ask friends and family to do the same for you. Plain old 40 gr. LRN .22 LR ammo may be hard to find. But oddly some of the more exotic loadings are available. I found two 100 rd. packages of Remington Golden .22's at a small ACE Hardware store yesterday along with three little 50 rd. boxes of Thunderbolts. The Golden .22's were priced normally, but the Thunderbolts were $3.29/50 rds. Ouch! Today I went into a little gunshop that had sold out of plain .22 LR ammo. Happily that had Stingers for $6.50/50 rds. and even better they had Remington Yellow Jackets for $7.99/100 rds. That was the normal price one paid in this area before all the panic buying started. And... the nice lady running the register said there was no limit on how much one could buy. So... I bought what I could afford. I figure I'll use the Yellow Jackets in my rifles and use the more traditional 38 gr. HP/40 gr. RN ammo in my handguns. The reason is simple. It is much easier to adjust zero on a rifle w/ a scope than to do the same thing with handguns using open sights.

Once upon a time I probably kept 2-300 rounds of .22 LR ammo on hand and about the same amount of .38 Special, etc. After the 2008 election, I bought some nice M-2 ball for my M-1 Garands and later some M-2 AP since it was actually cheaper than the M-2 I'd bought earlier. And... I bought a fair amount of .22 LR ammo. Now I am so very thankful to have some ammo to shoot. My heart goes out to folks who are not finding anything at all available for sale. I'm meeting a preacher friend tomorrow for lunch. Then I'm going to take him over to a indoor pistol range and let him try out a couple of my revolvers. I am so thankful to have enough ammo on hand that he will be able to shoot probably as much as he wants. I don't think he's ever before fired a handgun.