View Single Post

Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWilson View Post
RMP91, welcome to the forum.

When you see a snubnose M&P without a forward locking lug to support the front end of the ejector rod, it is almost always a British Service Revolver whose barrel has been cut from five inches to two. In the process, the locking lug is lost. These BSRs (which can have serial numbers in -- round numbers -- the 700000-999999 range, and then from V1 through about V800000) were produced from 1940-1945 and chambered the .38 S&W cartridge, not .38 Special. As part of the conversion, chambers were bored out to take the longer .38 S&W Special cartridge. I suspect that is what you have. Many of these guns were proofed out of British service into the commercial market in the 1950s, then imported to North America as inexpensive revolvers. Their collector value is essentially nil because they are so heavily modified, but they retain some value as shooter grade revolvers. Because of differing case dimensions, .38 Special brass can swell or even split along about half its length if fired in a converted cylinder. But you should be able to shoot the shorter .38 S&W rounds without trouble. Pay attention to the yoke and cylinder. If the unit is loose or wobbles back and forth without the front locking lug, it may be a good idea just to retire the gun.

Original nickel two-inch M&Ps existed in the commercial civilian market, but a BSR in nickel has been refinished.
That doesn't seem to be possible, my father and I shot a good 100-200 rounds of .38 Special out of it just fine... I've looked all over for pictures of the M&P I have but it appears to be unique in that it has an unsupported guide rod... This is truly a mystery.