Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Sackett View Post
Here is a copy of the warning:

"ATK Commercial Products
900 Ehlen Drive Anoka, MN 55303
ATK | Fortune 500 aerospace, defense, security, and sporting products company

July 25, 2008

Dear Functional Wholesaler:

Please distribute this letter to all of your customers immediately with instructions for them to do the following:
• Post this letter in a highly visible area of their establishment
• Distribute to their customers as soon as possible

Alliant Powder Blue Dot® Product Safety Notice

Alliant Powder® periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that recommended recipes have not changed over time.
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder’s Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:
• Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
• Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions or concerns please contact me at [email protected] or call me at 540-639-8503.

Dick Quesenberry
Alliant Powder
Product Line Manager"
What sets the .41 Mag apart from all other cartridges, making it unsuitable for Blue Dot with any bullet or powder weight? I wonder how Blue Dot can tell it's in a .41 Mag instead of a .44 Mag, or for that matter, that it's under a 125 gr. bullet in a .357.

I not trying to refute what Mr. Quisenberry says, it just seems to me that the .44 is close enough to the .41 that it would have the same problem with Blue Dot, whatever that problem may be.
The Following User Likes This Post: