View Single Post

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini24 View Post
Thanks Tom and Mike I will be lettering it along with a couple others that I received. As for the holster it is a H.H.Heiser.
Well you get the idea of the treasure you have by now and I agree. I thought the holster was Heiser which of course is a Holy Grail of the vintage holster world.

And there is one thing nobody has mentioned. Your gun appears to have a rare transitional version of smooth presentation target stocks w/o football cutout. It would be between one of the rarest of factory target stocks which are the early 1950's special-order-only Smooth "coke bottles" or "cokes" target stocks Pg. 23, SCSW, 3rd ed. They look like this with long wood behind the trigger guard and pronounced flare at the butt:

They are not to be confused with the later standard smooth targets w/cutouts that are not "cokes" shown below:

Nicknamed "cokes" because when viewed from the rear they have a slight swell in the center on each side known as a palm swell that resembles the old coke bottles. They are much more scarce than the later 1956 checkered version "cokes" with cutout, 1st available on the then new 44 Magnums.

Do yours have the palm swell? They're worth the $500 alone that someone offered you in jest for the gun.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 01-27-2013 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: