View Single Post

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
I thought you might be interested in seeing a Polish P.35 9mm Radom pistol. At first glance it might appear homely, but the Radom is considered by many experts as one of the best pistols to come out of the WWII period. It was well made and robust.

Poland produced this pistol, which had a blend of features from the M1911 pistol and the Belgian 9mm High Power. It has a grip safety like the M1911, and the barrel is unlocked via a cam like the High Power. The lever on the slide is a decocker - it retracts the firing pin into the slide and drops the hammer on the hammer retaining plate. The lever to the rear of the grip frame is not a safety - it's a slide retaining latch to aid in disassembly. The slide release is just above the trigger on the left side. There is no manual safety; the design relies solely on a half-cock notch or the floating firing pin which allows safe carry with the hammer down. The decocker was put on the gun in response to a request by the Polish cavalry to help in operating the pistol one-handed; the other hand had to control the reins of a horse. Men on horseback wielding pistols were not a good match for German tanks, however.

When Germany overran Poland in 1939, it took over the Radom plant and began to produce the pistol for its armed forces, including the Navy, fallschirmjaegers (paratroopers), police and the SS. The native Polish workers promptly began smuggling parts of the pistol out of the plant to arm resistance forces. When the Germans found out about this practice, they executed a dozen plant workers in front of their co-workers. Later, to stop sabotage, the Germans started making barrels for the pistols in Austria, and later moved all the machinery to Austria.

This particular pistol was made in Poland in 1942, and bears the German waffenamt acceptance stamps. Later guns dispensed with the takedown latch. Earlier ones were slotted for a shoulder stock. The "VIS" on the right grip panel is Latin for "power" or "force." The "FB" on the left grip panel stands for Fabryka Brony (Weapon Factory), the Polish government manufacturing facility in Radom, Poland.

This gun is in excellent shape for being 70 years old, and could still give good service. It will fire any commonly available 9mm Luger ammo.

John

I have really appreciated reading this thread.

I have a Mod 35 VIS 9mm. It has a serial number starting with a P. It has solid pins. It has a white barrel. It does have the take down lever. All numbers matching. It has all the acceptance marks. It is approximately 85 to 90%. Speaking of the acceptance marks; this is what I have been trying to learn is exactly what they all mean. This thread finally gave me that information!

I have been considering selling my Radom, but the more I learn about it, the less I want to sell it. It does shoot very nicely.

Economics still might force me to sell it. However, I don't really know for certain what it is worth. I have heard as low as $300 and as high as $1200. I will not give it away. If all I can get is $500 or less - I will definitely keep it. I will post pictures of it when I get a chance. Any advise from you, since you really seam to know this gun and it's values?