View Single Post

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,116 Times in 409 Posts

I know that Mr. LaPierre has been at this a long time.

But the NRA, with Mr. LaPierre included should understand by now that its the "middle-of-the-road" people they need to impress. And I don't feel like they reach out to that group very well. And Mr. LaPierre does not seem to impress that group as well either.

Do not misunderstand me. If it wasn't for the NRA our gun rights would have been gone well back to 1968 or maybe even before.

But this time the fight is very serious and more so than ever met before. It is the people in the middle, opinion-wise who will probably move the issue of guns into one "camp" or another by contacting their representatives. And this time I think that will be as important as the NRA using vast sums of money and pressure on politicians to vote pro-gun.

The President is doing an end-run around Congress by appealing to the people. The NRA must do so as well and they are not doing it very well or even at all.

I agree with you on every single Senator there (except I think Feinstein) prefaced or alluded to at some point, "....I believe in the Second Amendment". Which means most of them really don't.

I was actually surprised at several Republican Senators who boldly said either, "I own an AR." or "I want the high capacity weapons for EVERYBODY to have a reasonable amount of self-defense."

I was also amazed that only ONE Senator truthfully said that automatic weapons can be owned by civilians although heavily restricted and monitored.

I am still surprised that when anybody states that "...all the other amendments have been judicially deemed to have 'reasonable limitations' and so is/should the Second Amendment..." I am surprised that no one states, "The Second Amendment is the only amendment which specifically states, "...shall not be infringed".

But I guess I have too simplistic of an outlook on life, if the sun is shining I say it's shining. A politician, lawyer, or judge might say, "Maybe, maybe not."

Last edited by semperfi71; 01-31-2013 at 03:41 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: