View Single Post

Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked 4,469 Times in 1,030 Posts

I have to agree that other than those who are panicking and buying anything they thought they might ever want that the current political situation isn't really affecting revolvers as much.

But the point is that, relatively speaking, S&W 22 revolvers were always in the unique unfortunate position of having several lower caste competitors that could not hope to hang with them on quality larger bores and semi-autos, but did turn out very serviceable and affordable 22's. As such , people bought scads more H&R's, High Standards, and the like than S&W's and again, relatively speaking there were fewer S&W's produced. Since they aren't making them anymore (at least not like this) there is a growing value and appreciation for these older guns that have survived in good condition.

Those who keep saying it hoping it will make it so are only fooling themselves when they opine that a 1961 model 18 in good condition, for example, isn't worth much more than what a comparable High Standard sells for on Gun Broker.

And the 'critical' part of the discussion (at least what I saw) focused on the "Mine's worth a fortune and yours ain't worth spit" types who drag out a Blue Book at gun shows and shops to explain the 'fact' to you that theirs is worth a fortune and yours ain't worth spit.