View Single Post

Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

For all of my guns, hand guns, shotguns, lever guns, .22, AR15's I use nothing but a bore snake on the barrel.

For the 15-22 I take the upper off, point the barrel down in a orange home depot bucket, shoot some break free powder blast into it and let it drain out into the bucket (lean it against the wall).

Now I take apart the bolt carrier and hit is with powder blast (metal parts). This almost cleans it totally.

Go back to the barrel and hit it with CLP, a good amount, and let it drain down the barrel into the bucket.

I then use CLP and brushes to clean/lube the bolt carrier. It is done at this point. I wont wipe off the CLP unless its dripping. I like a nice coat.

Now I clean around the chamber and the rest of the upper with paper towels, q-tips and CLP. Last step run the bore snake through 1 time and visually inspect with light. I dont put anything on the bore snake. The two cleaners have done most of the work and the snake is going to pull out any chunks and leave a light coat of CLP.

The whole thing takes 15min at the most. Rods and patches for the most part are gone for me. I may...may use a patch with #9 once a year, after the power blast drain before the CLP drain down the barrel.

This is the same method for all of my guns. Once or twice a year I will wash the bore snake in the kitchen sink with dish soap and hang it dry. I replace them once every 2-3 years.

Last edited by SGT_Lindy; 01-31-2013 at 07:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: