Thread: S&W Model 659
View Single Post

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire1228 View Post
I am looking at a 659 this weekend. I will inspect and fire some rounds. I have a few questions. One, is there anything I should look for specifically? Two, how will I know the year manufactured? And finally, can I run the serial number somewhere with S&W for more information? The seller is including an extra clip, it comes in a leather pouch. He is asking $600. From the earlier posts, this seems high. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks.
First off, welcome to the forum!
I just did a search of completed auctions on Gunbroker to get an idea of what 659s are fetching, and $600 is a little on the high side. They appear to be selling in the $350-#550 range. For $600, I would hope it is in excellent condition. All this being said, with the current political climate driving up prices, I'm not really surprised.
You can call S&W (1-800-331-0852) and they'll tell you when it was made from the serial number, or you can post the # on the forum, and someone will pop in and tell you. Some of the folks on here have a book that has that info.

Oh - minor point on terminology. They're called magazines, not clips. Clips, or stripper clips, are used to load bolt action military rifles (and some semi-auto rifles, such as the SKS). Not trying to be nit-picky, just thought you'd want to know.

Good luck on the 659 - You may be able to bargain with the seller and get him down a little, but since it has an extra magazine with it, and with the prices of magazines going through the roof, that may be the going rate now. Depends on how good a condition it is.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: