Thread: 22 Short Ammo
View Single Post

Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked 6,215 Times in 2,424 Posts

I just checked my records. In '07 I bought a bunch of CCI shorts from Grafs. 6.59 a box, and since they are boxes of 100, that's 3.30 a box. In '10 I bought some from Midway. 6.47 a box. Again, that comes to 3.25 a box.

Seems like 3 bucks a box, now, ain't a bad deal.

Why You Are Not Supposed To Use Shorts (my opinion)

1 - if you have a box magazine they won't feed. Makes your gun a single shot.

2 - if you have an automatic they don't have enough power to work the action. Makes your gun a single shot.

3 - if you have a tube magazine and your gun was not designed to use shorts (i.e. marked S/L/LR) it will try to feed more than one and cause jams. Puts your gun out of action.

4 - Firing shorts in a LR action leaves a deposit of bullet lube/unburned powder at the mouth of the case, and the more you shoot the bigger it gets, and the older it is the harder to remove. This deposit causes difficulties in chambering LR ammo, and if you get the LR chambered, when you fire it the case fire-forms around the deposit, making it very difficult to eject.

For these reasons I seldom shoot shorts. For Reason #4, even though I have two that are marked S/L/LR, I only shoot them in my 1890 Gallery Gun, which is chambered for shorts. It is nice to know that, if push come to shove, they will feed fine in my Marlin and my Remington, but I save them for my Winchester.