Thread: 22 Short Ammo
View Single Post

Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM

Liked 28,938 Times in 14,012 Posts

In my opinion, the absolute finest .22 Semiauto rifle ever made was the Remington 550. It was equipped with the Williams floating chamber, which allowed it to fire .22 S, L, & LR interchangeably, and it worked perfectly. No way I could estimate the thousands of rounds of .22 Short I fired through it before I foolishly sold it 20 years ago for $90. I saw one at the gun show this morning for $250, and was tempted to buy it, but didn't. As I posted elsewhere, there was a guy there asking $10/box for new .22 Short ammunition.

The old Winchester .22 pumps (1890/1906) would handle .22 Short. The '90 was made in Short and Long Rifle, but the Long Rifle version would function with .22 Shorts if you plugged the feed carrier with a wad of paper. The '06 handled all lengths interchangeably without modification.

I have a High Standard .22 Olympic Model semiauto pistol that fires ONLY .22 Short, preferably standard velocity (it has a light aluminum slide). Fortunately, I still have about 3000 rounds of CCI .22 Short Std Velocity, and it is now very difficult ammunition to find.

Of course, any bolt action rifle will fire .22 Short but it may have to be done in single-shot mode rather than feeding from the magazine. Any .22 revolver will handle .22 Short also.

At one time, .22 Short was substantially cheaper than .22 LR. But sadly, the reverse is true now. Regarding .22 CB and BB caps, they are good for sighting in .22 guns in your back yard, as they make very little noise and it doesn't take much to make a simple but effective bullet backstop, like a bundle of newspapers.