View Single Post

Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
US Veteran

Liked 809 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofstet View Post
If you can't see it, you can't place an accurate shot, no matter how good the rifle and ammo is. Most of my scopes cost much more than my rifles.
I agree with this-you have to be able to see it. I bought a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 HS Zero Stop F1 for a Remington 5R .308 several months ago. (Yes, Phil, it has a threaded barrel) As with many higher end items this scope is way better than am I. The hope is that my skills will improve to match that of the scope.

The first thing I figured out is that dropping a little dirt to check the wind does not work as well as it does in the movies. The skill involved in long range shooting may be beyond my capabilities but there is improvement most every time out.

The real point is that the $59 Walmart scopes will not work for long range shooting but they do have their place. And, no, I didn't spend that much money to punch holes in a B27 at 25 yards. Is it "worth" the extra money? It is to me.

By the way, I've flown helicopters w/ fewer dials, numbers, etc., than this scope has! And you have to count the "gee whiz" factor, too.