View Single Post

Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts
Default Letter Coloring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
I really like the idea of the Elmer's Painters. Besides, I just discovered my daughter (7) has a whole stinkin' set of'em.

What scares me to death is the post about the "cloud effect" above. It's the little things. It would break my heart if I screwed this up. Has anybody found anything that's safe to remove the Elmer's paint from polymers like the lower on the 15/22? If not, what do you use on the lower of the 15/22 to clean it up?

Brake cleaner is pretty harsh stuff (I was raised in my daddy's professional garage.). Not as bad as carb cleaner, but once you've swiped it on, the damage is done and it's too late!

Ever seen what Goo-Gone does to some plastics? NOT pretty.

I am into this and want to do it badly. I just want to be sure I can clean it up safely. Measure twice and cut once. Just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Lowers ain't as cheap as they once were and they're damn sure not as easy to FIND!

Any suggestions?

Dikinalaska? Really need some self-assurance here!

Thanks!
I was afraid of the poly and brake clean as well, but my LGS guy told me he cleans his 15-22 with it and never had an issue. I asked to see his and there was no trace of anything that I could tell. The cloud effect is a little bothersome, but after you get the technique down its really easy. Look around your house for something that's poly to practice on. There's tons of things with recessed lettering you can practice. The porous poly is a little more work than the, say, slide on the XD, that's why I did my XD first. Didn't think about trying it on something not firearm related...duh on my part, thought about it after I was trying to remove the cloud, cursing myself for not thinking about it sooner lol. I haven't seen anything suggesting a compromise to the poly from the brake clean on the 15-22 or Shield. Not even discoloration, so IMHO you'll be fine.