View Single Post

Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts
Default Letter Coloring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc502 View Post
What is the technique used with the Elmers pens? Do you use a fine tip and stay in groove, or do you expect/plan to wipe off over flow with a solvent (brake cleaner, WD-40, etc...).
If you don't mind waiting a couple weeks I'll do a video on it, it's really not hard. Good prep work is key. Clean the lettering and surrounding area very well. I cleaned it as usual, than used a q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol just to make sure I got all the oils and such. What I did was apply the paint liberally to the lettering, making sure to kind of push the tip into the lettering, and kept tapping it just to help get everything settled and the bubbles out. I let it dry for about 2-3 minutes, with the overage and all. In my experience if I tried to clean the excess while it was wet it just smeared making more mess. So I let the top layer harden I tiny bit than rub over it lightly with a q-tip with brake cleaner on it. Once you see the paint start to smear instead of just remove, stop for a minute and let it dry a little more. Than go back over it again with a new q-tip/brake clean. Repeat these two steps until only the lettering is left and voila! I tried cleaning the excess while it was wet and ended up with the cloud(see XD). This is just what worked for me and others have had better luck with other methods. Best suggestion I have is try on something not important to you. I can't think of anything poly off hand that would be comparable to the lower to try on, but I honestly don't think material matters. It's technique and timing if you're going to use my method and let it dry. Any other specific questions about any of the steps that I can help clear up let me know and I'll try and help.