View Single Post

Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Question on Lube and resizing die.

1. What lube do you use?

I use White Label Lube BAC for everything I cast .38 special to .30-30 and it performs top notch.

2. Does the lube gunk up the barrel of the gun?

I think not in the manner you may be thinking. After shooting you will need to clean the bore but no more than any other range trip unless you find lead in the bore.

3. What MFG on the resizing die?

I use RCBS and Lyman for lube/sizing dies and Lee for push through with tumble lube. If you want to go big dog then buy a Magma Star lube sizer.

4. Do you use a single stage press to resize?

You can use a single stage press for the Lee push through sizing dies but RCBS and Lyman lube sizing dies use a committed press that has a lube reservoir. Both presses can use each other brands dies which is nice. Again, the Magma Star is more money and is it's own press but it VERY nice.

Sorry for all the questions,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
I want to thank you all again for the help, I'm sure I will be asking a few more questions though

Question:

1. What sizing die do I need for the .45acp ? (.46)

Typically most .45 ACP bores are .451" and you buy a sizing die that is .452" but some .45 Colt revolvers need bullets sized to .454" or .455" but that's where slugging revolver cylinder throats and bores comes into play.

2. What sizing die do I need for the 38spl ? (.358)

Typically you find that all .38 special and .357 magnum bores are .357" in diameter and thus you size your bullets to .358" or sometimes .359 if needed. If you are using the appropriate hardness of bullet for pressure and right lube for the same and still get leading then you may need to up to the .359" sizing.

I was reading whereas I need .0001 above the bullet needing to be shot.

".001"

I just want to make sure because I am B/O products now and I will be getting the Lee sizing die.

If you are using the Lee dies then you will be using Alox. Don't bother with Rooster Jacket as it's out of production last I checked and it's never even worked for me in the slightest. Google search "Recluse Lube" and you will get some suggestions for a blend of alox with some other products. Also, Google "Ranch Dog Outdoors" and read his page on dipping bullets into alox. White Label Lube sells alox the cheapest I've found.

Thanks,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Frankly, the the gunboard urbanic term "boolits" is something that if it's never seen by my eyes again, it will be too soon.

Bruce
I love that forum but I have to agree.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: