Thread: Hotel Room
View Single Post

Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked 1,185 Times in 453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captorquewrench View Post
Dave...
That's why I was posing the question to see if eminent domain also extended to hotel room.
Not actually a case of "eminent domain" -- rather a matter of
your temporary quarters being considered your "home" -- I do not practice in Texas but would expect a rented hotel room
to be a place wherein you enjoy the same legal protections that you enjoy in your own home, just the same as if you leased your home under a month to month lease or year to year lease -- for example, the right to be free from illegal searches and seizures. In Louisiana, a hotel room, a rented summer camp, your vehicle, your boat, your ATV, are all considered extensions of your home and you enjoy the same self-defense priviliges as you do in your home. There is a legal term "curtilage" -- the right to be free and secure in your possessions and actions in your home and it's extensions (fenced yard, outbuildings, vehicles) -- it is a generally recognized common law right. If there is a Texas state hotel/motel commission, board or industry group (which I would have to bet there is), you might call them -- they should know the answer -- my best educated thought is that a hotel room in Texas is treated as your home for the duration of your paid stay. Hope this helps.