View Single Post

Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 PM

Liked 243 Times in 132 Posts

OK, maybe I missed the mark by calling bulk ammo sub-grade. I didn't mean that it was not good or reliable ammo. I did however mean that if you use a caliper and measure something like rim casing thickness you will find more variations in bulk boxed ammo than in any other type of packaging. (Generally.) Like it or not, all companies have internal QC standards. What might not pass for match or target grade due to a slight irregularity would be no cause for outright disposal, but putting this ammo into a bulk bin would be a logical use. I don't think anyone would, or should, argue that shooting ammo with ultra consistent rim casing thicknesses should produce more consistent target groupings. How much smaller? Who's to say, depends on the rifle really. Go buy ANY product in bulk and see what quality you get. Maybe not substandard, but usually not prime. My only point was this: Bulk may not be as consistent ammo as some other 100-count packaging based on QC, not based on how it is packaged. I myself have also found Federal to be tops as far as bulk packaged ammo is concerned, but I can get better groupings from better ammo. Or by gauging the Federal bulk pack ammo's rim casing thickness - which just goes to prove my point. However I'll admit if you're checking rim casing thickness for your 15-22 then you are one serious type-A kind of guy. Checking it and sorting accordingly for your Anschutz, now that's a different story. This concludes my thoughts and opinions on bulk ammo. Happy weekend everyone! Hope you all get to shoot as much as I do in the next few days!