View Single Post

Old 02-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked 372 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakco View Post
Actually "mil-spec" is just the lowest stand the DOD will accept. Ther is nothing "top tier" about it.
It's called the "mil-spec is better than everthing else" myth. Otherwise specops would be using issue 92's and M4's, other "top tier" custom, mission specific equipment.
The mil-spec details everything from design drawings to materials, to inspection criteria, to performance standards. It is intended to provide a system that meets design standards for a particular use, in this case a reliable infantry combat carbine. To say the contract goes to the lowest bidder is a bit misleading. It goes to the lowest bidder that can meet the mil-spec standard that ensures a proper quality end product. As a taxpayer, that is the way I'd prefer the system to work.

For more info: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/mil...71186_(AR).pdf

Interestingly, I believe S&W uses 4140 steel (spec is 4150) and my 811000 doesn't have the proper barrel markings for chrome lining (S&W says it is) or magnetic particle inspection. The "CMP" is markings are strangely missing. The bolt does have the "MP" markings denoting a magnaflux inspection. Go figure.