View Single Post

Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked 630 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMaxSplat View Post
The mil-spec details everything from design drawings to materials, to inspection criteria, to performance standards. It is intended to provide a system that meets design standards for a particular use, in this case a reliable infantry combat carbine. I agree, as I stated, it is the LOWEST standard that the DOD will accept. To say the contract goes to the lowest bidder is a bit misleading. It goes to the lowest bidder that can meet the mil-spec standard that ensures a proper quality end product. You are doing two things. 1. You are attempting to put words in my mouth and 2. at the very least mischaracterizing my statements. As a taxpayer, that is the way I'd prefer the system to work.

For more info: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/mil...71186_(AR).pdf

Interestingly, I believe S&W uses 4140 steel (spec is 4150) and my 811000 doesn't have the proper barrel markings for chrome lining (S&W says it is) or magnetic particle inspection. The "CMP" is markings are strangely missing. The bolt does have the "MP" markings denoting a magnaflux inspection. Go figure. Now you have gone from Melonite treating to mentioning barrel steel. This has not been mentioned before or is really part of the discussion. If you don't know about it, go find "the chart" it will be your specification wet dream.
Oh BTW, the link you posted is NOT the whole ball of wax. What you really want is the Technical Data Package (TDP). It's proprietary, so it's unlikely you'll find it anywhere on the internet.

MIL-SPEC = A document that describes the essential technical requirements for purchased materiel that is military unique or substantially modified commercial items. MIL-STD-961 covers the content and format for defense specifications.

AND

However, the proliferation of standards also has some drawbacks. The main one is that they impose what is functionally equivalent to a regulatory burden upon the defense supply chain, both within the military and across its civilian suppliers. Almost nothing can be done according to sound case-by-case judgment, and almost everything requires constant, extensive study of the rules and verification that they are being followed "to a T". Workflows frequently pause (causing snowballing schedule delays) for reasons that are sometimes essentially trivial, and unit costs rise.

Last edited by Kodiakco; 02-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: