View Single Post

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM

Liked 2,270 Times in 1,273 Posts

Really, I know your just egging this on. But when you can show me comparable studies as to what I can show you we will discuss it. Until then it is settled. Data, something that proves the Chrome better and I will listen.
I also understand the business of procuring small arms for the military. If a weapons manufacturer wants to change something on a rifle to make it better they have to completely fund the project on the hope that they are dealing with the right people. That takes making a bunch of rifles with the change and sending them out on active service at the manufacturers cost plus any other breakdowns of the guns. This may take a year or two. In the mean time you are setting up tooling and spending the money to get full blown production of it.
Then after this, then the Joint Chiefs will authorize a couple of studies, funded by the manufacturer, it might happen, then again it might not plus it can be shut down or drug out by the military at any time.
For a manufacturer in order to make the best profit margin on the sales of the rifles, you need to sell as many of them that are exactly identical, Instead of having to set up for a lot of options you just purchase the identical tooling for your lines at the best cost, which means buy in bulk.
Once you get your production line going any changes you make cost you money. Whomever has the contract may want to consider going to a melonite type treatment. but the R&D money on a government contract is not there. So its not going to happen. Now....if someone in the government checks out this QDQ processing and thinks that it would be better if they can get approval to spend the money it will happen.
Right now they are working on the next generations of Military Small Arms and from the reports that I have read they are using it in some of the guns. I just remind myself that the TDP was established in the 60's with little more than barrel changes and cosmetic changes for the last almost 50 years. Yeah I remember tube type TV's and Stereo's that you fixed yourself.