View Single Post

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araym View Post
It surprised me how little brett248vista applied oil. In that video he didn’t lube anything related to the entire bolt group assembly other than the rails themselves. Is that right? There are sliding pieces in here: bolt assembly rails both against the polymer upper receiver sides as well as the bolt itself, spring against the guide rod, etc. Really am I to clean that only and not lube any of the associated parts other than just those internal rails? No light sheen of oil to protect against metal corrosion if the guns sits for a long period of time? (That would be a first for me if so, among all of the guns I currently own.)
As I have posted previously, if you can see the lube, you have applied too much. Other than the bolt carrier rails, there's really nothing that needs lubing in either the BCG or FCG. Any lube applied to other parts, if at all, should be the absolute minimum you can apply. The friction and pressures involved with these moving parts simply don't require lubrication other than perhaps the hammer and trigger hooks.

As for corrosion and rust protection, wiping down the firearm with a silicone rag occasionally is more than sufficient for such protection, unless your house says in the 90 percent humidity range and you leave the firearms laying around. BTW, DO NOT store firearms in pistol rugs and other such for rifles. The lining attracts moisture like a sponge. Even foam-lined hard cases are not a good idea. They all are made for transportation, not storage.

Firearms should be stored in a manner that allows air to circulate around them, consistent with security.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: