Thread: Safe Queens
View Single Post

Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Liked 344 Times in 184 Posts

Mine is my smokepole

Around 1990/1991 just before I graduated high school my grandfather gave this to me and while I didn't get the significance at the time i cleaned it up as best as I could and wrapped it in a blanket and kept it under my bed always intending to get it fixed up to shoot again.
I later learned that he passed it on to me because I was the first born grandson to carry the family name (other older sons were born to his daughters so different last names) and it was somewhat of a tradition because it was passed on to him as the oldest.
So fast forward 20 + years to last year right after Christmas my son started talking about wanting a bb gun so we assumed other 6 years olds in his class must have gotten one. We told him if he did good in school we would get him one at spring break. I found a Henry AR7 at this little gun store about the same time and made my first purchase (my other rifles where purchased by my father when I was a kid) and so our family now had another outdoor activity.
I asked the little gun store if they could do muzzleloader repairs and they said they don't but have a gunsmith whom they take them to about once a month who flies to California and works on stuff for movies. So I pulled mine out and let my kids see it and told them the history I knew then we dropped it off at the gun shop and picked it up a couple months later.
I then took it to our family reunion in August so everyone could see it and afterward received this picture I had posed for in e-mail from one of the distant family members.

My Cabelas safari shirt and outdoor pants fit the picture well. The powderhorn he gave me as well and I ordered the brass ends and string from Track of the Wolf and the shooters bag is from RMC Oxyolk.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: