View Single Post

Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 PM

Liked 1,142 Times in 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwhite View Post
Seeing this thread brought back up makes me chuckle. There is so much supposedly accurate information about Pusser's life and death it boggles the mind.

But take "jframe"s comment above and ask yourself why the History channel or another documentary entity has not been made. There is much more about the man that has never been brought to film or book. There are many stories locally that paint a different picture. And though I have only been around the area for a few years (I live very near to his home), I have heard stories from many who actually knew/grew up with him. Some good, some not so good. I personally won't comment as I did not know the man, and can only relate what I have been told. Some stories made me sad as I too, grew up with those movies and thought of him as an American legend.

As for the .41, I had heard it was a M58
I enjoy all the stories about him, good and bad. I figure the guy was human, and not entirely perfect like many others made him out to be. Legends are not always good; many are tainted, but that still doesn't make them any less interesting. I've always thought Frank Hamer, the Ranger who was behind getting Bonnie and Clyde was an interesting legend. Basically, he ambushed and killed both of them. However, things were different in the Thirties, just like they were different in the Sixties, when Pusser was sheriff. I know one thing for sure: there was a bunch of bad business at that Mississippi/Tennessee state line in McNairy and Alcorn counties all through the Forties, Fifties, Sixties, and probably most of the Seventies. Pusser may have took bribes, looked the other way, whatever. But I damn sure know that I wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes on some of his trips down there, and I wouldn't have wanted to go through what he went through in that ambush in '67. Nope, I'm sure he may have had his own share of corruption, but I suppose that's what happens when you have to deal with snakes.