View Single Post

Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM
US Veteran

Liked 206 Times in 59 Posts
Default PBA and FOP Solicitations

I have investigated these solicitations many times in the past. I would get calls in my office several times a year from citizens who received these calls asking me whether my department sanctioned them, needed money, etc. Unfortunately a lot of people especially the elderly feel compelled to donate. The truth is, agencies DO NOT sanction these solicitations. It is the unions (FOP and PBA as well as others, generally at the state level, not local) who contract with solicitors to raise money for the union. The unions will tell you that they have instructed the solicitors not to tell the people they are calling that they represent the agencies but they do it anyway. I got one of these calls in my home when I was chief and listened to the solicitor blow smoke about how the funds would be used to help pay for police cars and ballistic vests etc. My next call was to the media and it caused a scandal. The unions generally get about 10% of the take and the solicitor gets the rest. The unions use the money to cover their overhead and/or to pay lobbyists. There is no benefit to the officers. In my book that's a scam. Don't give them a nickel. If you want to support Law Enforcement and Firefighters and Paramedics donate to the Gold Shield Foundation, created by George Steinbrenner, which has very little overhead and provides direct benefits to the survivors of law enforcement officers, firefighters, and paramedics who are killed in the line of duty.
The Following User Likes This Post: