View Single Post

Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Liked 167 Times in 97 Posts
Question ? about AR-15 Short Stroking

Hey guys I know this isn't a Bushmaster Forum but I'm a Smith guy that's why I'm here. I went shooting with a friend today I took out my new shield and he took his brand new Bushmaster Carbon 15. Yes I know this gun is not a good investment but he got it on black Friday at Cabelas before I could tell him not to buy it. He loaded it up 30 round mag that came with it. First round bang then next round click. It wasn't even picking up the next round out of the mag at all but bolt was closing all the way back closed fully. So pulled the bolt back manually and it chambered round no problem then bang again then click same thing not picking up 2nd round. I had him try a new 30 round P-mag and same results. So here is what we did. We swapped out the complete bolt carrier assembly with another AR-15 and it functions properly with any magazine. So what could be the problem? Do any of you have any ideas? We did tear it apart when we got home and clean it up and the bolt did not seem to freely rotate and go in and out of the bolt carrier with ease like it should like it had some resistance. We took it apart and polished it up clean then lubed. The big pin that you have to rotate to pull out of the bolt so that you can remove the bolt from the carrier seemed like it was to snug also. We couldn't even get it back into the bolt when installed back into the carrier it was so tight. We polished it up and finally got it to go in. Got it put all back together and the bolt then seemed to rotate and pull in and out of the carrier as it should. So getting the gun all back together it made no difference it still wont pick up the 2nd round anytime and if you just chamber 1 round and shoot it bolt doesn't stay open when the mag is empty. This thing seems to be short stroking and its got us stumped. The gas keys dont seem to be properly staked either but the hex screws are very tight and not loose. They are staked so lightly that they could easily back out over time.

Again this gun is brand new first trip out to line in the red dot. If you have any ideas please respond. Hes contacted Bushmaster and they said they have no parts for replacement or to fix and have no idea when they would have them. My friend is not a happy camper.