View Single Post

Old 02-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked 5,210 Times in 2,174 Posts

I use the M&P .22 as a loaner in the OK Carry Classes, for the many people who bring a gun that does not work reliably, or who do not own a semi-auto ( a quirk in the OK laws allows you to carry any gun you want if you qualify with any semi-auto). Many people borrow a semi-auto they have never shot and don't know if or how it works.

In watching many people shoot the M&P .22, I have seen first hand that the operator can induce malfunctions by loose or improper grip. In class last Sat, 6 people shot it with absolutely no problem. However, two could not keep their fingers off the slide and/or slide catch, and the gun kept short stroking and failing to lock open. One held the gun so loosely that it flipped up past 45 degrees--a .22!!

After considerable coaching and multiple tries, all managed to get enough rounds downrange to meet the OK requirements.

I try to get everyone who does not know how to shoot a pistol to take the NRA First Steps pistol class first, and all who do have no trouble with the OK carry class. Why some people take an OK carry class without knowing how to shoot a pistol? Well, that's the subject for a different thread.