View Single Post

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,122 Times in 4,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Midway is a great company. I just won't backorder anything from them again. Most companies charge shipping for the original order and then ship backorders on their dime. I guess the new business model is to have everything on backorder and make extra money on shipping.
They are admirable, but even the best organization has certain limitations. They just sent an email that claimed they are shipping a million orders a year. That's a bunch! You can imagine that when you're trying to process +/-2700 orders every day you have to do things a certain way.

I sometimes place an order and then fifteen minutes later want to add something that slipped my mind. Their system won't allow it. I don't like it, but I understand.

"Backorder" means different things, depending on the terms of the company offering the service. Generally, I assume it just means they will hold my order and ship it (at prevailing prices) when they receive their re-supply. If I expect an existing price to be honored (as in a "rain check"), I check their terms or ask about that - and about the cost of shipping too.

(Rant advisory!) I never expect "free" shipping from anyone, for any reason. The concept is a joke, as far as I am concerned. If it is offered I am glad to get it, but the whole notion of free shipping is just a ridiculous myth that the smart guys have created to diffuse the cost issue. It doesn't exist. The cost is "built-in" somewhere and we are helping to pay it every time we make a transaction.

It sounds like you were charged two shipping charges, which of course isn't right, but they did what they could within their system to fix it. Since how their system works isn't satisfactory to you, no more backorders!

Given how Midway at least makes an effort to support our sport/hobby, the Second Amendment, and the N.R.A., I hope you continue to do business with them when you can. They're not perfect, but...