View Single Post

Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Final Testing Hammerli 280

Thanks to all for the advice on reloading for the 32 Smtih and Wesson Long.

Last year I made a decision to change over to the 32 Smith and Wesson Long for the center fire part of Bullseye competition. Part of this decision was made because I also compete in ISSF where nothing larger than 38 caliber is allowed.

Looking through the available 32 models the first obvious commonality among those firearms was the grips which are quite different than what is on a typical Bullseye pistol like my SW 41 and Smith Wesson 945. I found a 3rd Series Hammerli 280s (which most people think is the best of the 280 line) with interchangeable housings for both 22 and 32 calibers. The 280 has had a lot of discussion concerning its accuracy and the fact that it incorporates high strength carbon fiber into the firearm. There are a lot of Walther GSP fans and it certainly has a lot going for it; however, the Hammerli I found came with case, spare parts, 4 magazines for each caliber, intact tool kit and very little indications of being shot a lot. Obviously since the 280 is not produced anymore parts are of a concern.

My first impression of the Hammerli was the lightness and the ergonomic feel of the firearm. While the frame is high strength carbon fiber, the actual barrel and slide are metal to metal which should provide for long life. Basic field stripping is not difficult – removing two screws one in the magazine well and another front of the barrel. Anything further stripping does become rather complicated. A t-wrench is provided for this operation and is also required to change from 22 lr to 32 SW long so do not forget to bring it with you. It took some trial and error to learn how to reassemble the barrel/slide components after basic field stripping. The slide component has to be locked into place before replacing the barrel housing. Phenomenal trigger – a two-step trigger that does require some adjustment; however, the break is light and like glass.

The grip angle is much shallower than the SW 41 and 945 which allows a more straight line alignment. I was able to find a scope mount from Larry’s Guns that fit the Hammerli and it replaces the rear sight. There is enough room to mount an Ultradot on the weaver style base (Figure 1). The scope sits over the top of your hand. There are three counter weights that can be changed around on the front of the firearm to accommodate balance. I used two counter weights in the back slots and one carbon place holder on the front slot.

The Hammerli 22lr was finicky about ammo like my SW 41 and it took trial and error. Hammerli provides a target with each gun – wish they would provide the ammo used. The gun comes with a round catcher that is really useful when shooting indoors or where fallen brass is club property. My 22 combination liked Eley pistol match and was adequate with Fiocchi pistol for practice. The reloads for the 32 were with Hirtenberg brass, Lapua 98 gr HBWC, Winchester small primers and HP38 (1.9 and 2.0 grains), Universal Clays (1.9 and 2.0 grains) and Herco (2.2, 2.3, 2.4 grains) powder because they all had at least 0.4 grain difference between min and max and were available in my powder cabinet. Testing found that the Hammerli liked 1.9 grains of HP38 producing 1.150 inch group at 50 yards from a Ramson rest (Figure 2) of which one bullet strike occupied 0.625 inches distance.

However, when trying to load this round using my turret press I found my Lee autodisk would not make consistent throws at low powder levels. I purchased a used Lyman #55 measure which worked fine. I used a Lee powder measure extender and one nylon bushing to make the measure rise above the primer holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Figure 1.JPG (164.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Figure 2.JPG (150.5 KB, 101 views)