View Single Post

Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned

Liked 192 Times in 140 Posts
Default 38 spec 9mm and 45 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumann View Post
A .38 SPL produces about 200 ft-lb muzzle energy from a 6" barrel, compared to 9x19mm, which produces approximately 400 ft-lb from a 4" barrel. .40 S&W and .45 ACP are in the same ball park as 9 mm.

Plain vanilla .38 SPL packs a real wallop of recoil in a 15 oz revolver because there's no action to spread out the momentum. The recoil of a pistol is spread out over about 1/10 second as the slide flies back, which reduces the felt recoil significantly.
Let me do this one more time in another way. You said that 9mm and 45 were the same kinetic energy.

My Speer Reloading Manual Number Nine has some pages on test fires they did on various cartridges in various handguns:

“Velocities of Commercial Cartridges”

Page 433 - S&W auto 4 inch barrel - 9mm - 125 grain bullet - 1109 feet per second.

Page 434 - S&W rev 6 inch barrel - 38 special - 125 grain bullet - 1160 feet per second.

Page 435 - Colt auto 5 inch barrel - 45 auto - 190 grain bullet - 1007 feet per second.

When we do this again be prepared to discuss why hunters prefer 180 or 200 or more grain bullet weights when hunting elk, moose, or bear.

Be prepared to discuss the old tests where leather jackets prevented hollow point bullets from opening up. (Filled up the hollow point).

A 45 auto always makes at least a 45 caliber hole. I have forgotten but that is over twice as big as a 9mm. Remember the area of a circle is Pi R Square. If you draw a ½ inch square on paper and divide it again into 4 squares each ¼ inch or .25 caliber you get the idea. 25 caliber is 4 times smaller than 50 caliber. A one inch water pipe is 4 times smaller than a 2 inch water pipe. Area and Volume math is another dimension. Pour your 9mm barrel full of baby oil and compare what you pour out with a 45 auto barrel full of baby oil. In piston engines that is called cubic inches displacement.

And maybe carpenters hammers are too heavy. Maybe we could make much lighter faster hammers (longer handles?) with more kinetic energy so they could build houses faster with the same nails and 2x4 boards. Maybe the best all around hammer is a tack hammer?

Yes I am old and have a thick head. But I love to hear about new stuff that works. Please lets continue. It helps me review old books and new products. And I really want to know what you like best and why. When anyone convinces me of something new I am really happy. Unfortunately my hands remember revolvers and love them.
I just touched my wife, one of my revolvers, and one of my semi autos. Yes my wife and my revolver feels the best even to my index finger.