View Single Post

Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I just started re-loading recently after 25 years.

What I have found out from my mistakes recently, is that the 38 special has it's special requirements pertaining to how you want it to perform to.

1. It won't satisfy your need for heavy 158 grain jacketed HP that you want to expand. Just can't get the velocity required for them to perform. So money not wisely spent on bullets. Learned this from my previous post.

2. You can drop down to 140 grain bullets and below JHP and they will work.

3. For a 158 PD load you will require a lead bullet. They come in a lot of different shapes and hardness. It's expansion vs penetration. Powders for short barrels, leading and not leading up the barrel. Soft,hard,harder. It's a science that you have to take the time to see what works for you and your "LIL Friend". It's like when I started playing cribbage, It costs to learn.

4. I am going to try a 158 grain, hard cast, PHP, at #10 BHN. I want to be able to use this in my 38 spl & 357 mag. I think it will work for PD and hunting Deer?? I hope this will cover all me requirements for a bullet in both calibers. Won't use it for target practice. I will have to play with different powders, etc.

5. I am just learning and I hope to glen and share information. If l made a mistake here, please correct!

Thanks, Good Luck & Enjoy I Sure Am!