View Single Post

Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo Batali View Post
My Remington Model 552 semi-auto (1961 vintage) will shoot Remington "Golden Bullets" all day long without a hitch.
Maybe the old golden bullets. The new production just isn't up to the old standards. I attribute it to new machinery that runs faster and is more miserly with priming compound. I could be wrong.

But most of us who have bought and shot recent vintage, like the last couple of years, end up having significant misfires. Not one or two, but sometimes as many as 5 or 6 per hundred.

My time proven method is to take 2 pairs of pliers and grip the case with one and the bullet with the other. Then you bend and the bullet just kind of smears out. Toss it away. Then pour the powder in the nearest flower pot or grassy area. Its good nitrate fertilizer. Now look at the case. Look down inside. Use light if you need to. Then see if you can see any priming compound in the bottom. For the case to fire, the stuff has to both be there and spun into the rim.

What I think you'll see is the absence of yellow or green stuff. The color seems to be different by brand and age. I have no idea if the color is added or just what happens naturally from the chemicals. The point being is if there isn't any, the shell won't fire. And its been my experience that duds almost never have any. Its not isolated to Remington, its just more frequent with them.

If you do that, report back in a new thread what you discover. We'd like to hear it. We all have duds, so tell others what you've found.