View Single Post

Old 03-09-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked 9,287 Times in 3,716 Posts

The problem with the Mustang and similar vehicles is that they are too darned small; I can barely get in or out in casual clothes, and I'm only 6'1/230. I never cared for unmarked cars working patrol, because I wanted the people I was contacting to be as confident as possible that I was real deal. I also preferred the better lighting options, without as much glare inside from the inside mounted lights, and I really liked the arrow on the back of the light bar.

For pure traffic, like WSP's mission, there is an argument for the unmarked cars and the weird ones, like the Volvo wagon. However, there are also real issues with people, especially women, being concerned that the stealth cars are impersonators. Most stops should be made by fully marked units.

I was really bothered by WSP because for years they had unlawfully tinted windows in a lot of their cars, and when they got enough pressure about it, instead of having the integrity to fix the cars, they went to the legislature to get an exemption for LE vehicles. This makes the unmarked car concerns even worse, and reflected the lack of understanding and core integrity at the management level. I came real close to giving one of their Sergeants a ticket for the windows on his patrol car before the exemption was enacted.