View Single Post

Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Banned

Liked 192 Times in 140 Posts
Default Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel_319 View Post
Ok, have a question, not sure this is the right place to ask it, maybe a physics professor would be a better place.
I own a Smith 940 9mm and a 640 Pro in .357.
The 940 with Winchester Ranger 127 grain +p+ has an MV of about 1200 fps.
The 640 with 125 grain Gold Dot .357 has an MV of about 1175 fps. Now, here's the question.
The .357 has noticable more felt recoil and muzzle blast compared to the 9mm. Both guns weigh roughly the same and to me it would make sense both guns would recoil the same. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, right?
Anyway can anyone explain this to me?

Unless the physics professor in into handguns you do not want to bug him. You are in the right place.

You have two stub nose revolvers and you want to know why the much more powerful one kicks harder. The short answer is that the 357 has significantly more powder in its cartridges. Line up 4 or 5 2x4 boards and see which shoots the deeper hole.

Is your velocity correct? I doubt you are finding revolver velocity for a 9mm? And these charts below do not give stubby velocities for some reason?

I will check my reloading books and get back to you. In really short barrels the extra powder gives a lot of flash and recoil without nearly the extra velocity/energy of longer barrels. But it should be noticeably better in the .357. You might need to use heavier bullets to see the benefits of the greater powder charge in the 357?

Both .357 and 9mm have about 35,000 psi chamber pressure (if memory serves) but the 9mm has less powder. So this is curious enough to give a look.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results

Like I say, I will get back to you after I check some old books with the right charts? If I cannot make a logical explanation the reloading forum certainly can. Someone who shoots these things and reloads for them will probably jump in before I can read my books.