View Single Post

Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 AM
Banned

Liked 192 Times in 140 Posts
Default Best I can do without more reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel_319 View Post
Ok, have a question, not sure this is the right place to ask it, maybe a physics professor would be a better place.
I own a Smith 940 9mm and a 640 Pro in .357.
The 940 with Winchester Ranger 127 grain +p+ has an MV of about 1200 fps.
The 640 with 125 grain Gold Dot .357 has an MV of about 1175 fps. Now, here's the question.
The .357 has noticable more felt recoil and muzzle blast compared to the 9mm. Both guns weigh roughly the same and to me it would make sense both guns would recoil the same. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, right?
Anyway can anyone explain this to me?

So you are comparing a +P+ 9mm load with a standard .357 load on a paper chart. Tip, if it kicks harder in the same weight gun it is a hotter load and will shoot through more wood or bigger hole if one mushrooms and the other does not. You never get something for nothing. Believe what you feel more than what you read.

My old speer reloading manual number 9 chart has a 2 and a half inch 357 with 125 grain speer bullet to be shooting about 1223 fps with a standard load. With a 6 inch barrel they come out about 1400 or 1500 fps in reload charts and the average of the factory tested commercial loads in revolvers is the same.

A +P+ is a really hot load for a 9mm and you should read more about that in a revolver. I am not into even +p loads and I thought +P+ was machine gun ammo. I see wikipedia refers to them being shot in handguns. I am not aware of any SAMMI pressure standards for +P+. Be really careful and look for any standard pressure written down. Times change with wildcat cartridges, and this might be one.

My old chart for speer bullets give typical info. Shorter barrels will be less.
On my chart the 125 grain bullet with 4 inch barrel 357 is tested at 1388 fps
On my chart the 125 grain 9mm bullet in 4 inch barrel from semi auto says 1109 fps

My hunch is that a +P+ is stressing your cylinder more than any standard 357. My advice for what it is worth, is to stay with standard loads or buy bigger guns or get longer barrel length in your caliber. The 357 is the best ever at one shot knockdowns. 9mm is a fine little cartridge that was made small to fit inside a semi auto handgrip. That was possible with smokeless powder. (long story).

I see the maximum is 5.9 grains of unique for 9mm 125 grain bullet.
The maximum load for 357 with 125 grain bullet is 9 grains of unique powder. (The larger case can get the bullet moving with less chamber pressure).

9×19mm Parabellum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the above wikipedia article, notice the chart about half way down page where if gives various +P+ velocitys at 1200 and 1300 feet per second. (If your going to destroy or wear your 9mm out early you might as well look up the same info for the .357.

Again, why not just be happy with standard velocity for your barrel length or trade for 4 inch or 6 inch barrel revolvers. Trying to make a 2 inch shoot like a 4 inch is really stressful on the gun, your ears, and felt recoil.