View Single Post

Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Liked 13,524 Times in 5,108 Posts

It appears to me (lifetime car guy) that there are major differences between unmarked and undercover cars.

Undercover are normally just regular cars/PU trucks/SUV that are used by plain clothes LEOs. Regular paint no special lights no special performance engines, suspensions, brakes. Most times no car police radio just the officer’s hand held. Impossible to spot and hardily ever will an officer blow his cover unless it’s a MAJOR problem unfolding. I knew a couple plain clothes cops that drove those rigs and they were totally unobtrusive.

Now unmarked. Those are regular patrol and are normally state contract cars. Same as the regular fleet except with many concealed lights and normally have all the inside cop equipment used by that department + outside spotlight.

Third class here is the “slick roof” same as above unmarked but does have all sorts of police graphics on the side. Some of those graphics are hard to see at a distance but up close very noticeable.

Then of course the totally marked patrol vehicles. The newer lower cars and equipped with the very low type light bar on the roof can sometimes sneak up on you as that bar is sometimes hard to spot!

Now here is something I have never seen commented about when talking about cop cars, and please remember I’m a lifetime serious car guy. Police vehicles (everything but undercover) all have heavy duty suspensions and if you have a very good eye you can spot them just the way they ride as the suspension is stronger. They normally do not bounce and hold a steadier ride and sit a little taller than the same civilian model unless that civilian vehicle has the optional heavy suspension.

Last edited by NYlakesider; 03-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.