View Single Post

Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410bore View Post
yes i do...send me a pm...i prob have 10 69mags...shorts, standard and 10 round

Hello 410bore! I just joined the forum because I saw several people here have the old Winchester 69 model! I currently have one now as well, passed down from my grandfather to my dad then me. It isnt in pristine shape as it sat in a closet for years unmaintained! It does have some light rust and some dings on the barrel, slight rust on the metal around trigger guard, magazine well, etc... Stock seems pretty decent, but could use a good cleaning.

What are your thoughts of striping to metal, fixing the dings and rusty spots and re-blueing? I would say it has approx 70% original blueing, but it is turning brownish and faded in several spots. I know this was manufactured around 1936 or 1937. It will stay in the family and I am not going to sell it, but I would like it to look much better! ;-)

I qualified using this rifle for my marksmanship badge in the Boy Scouts when I was about 16! Then, it had a peep sight on it...not sure what kind it was, but it wasnt the Win #80A or the Lyman 57EW kind. It fit in the dovetail on the receiver and you manually adjusted the windage and elevation. I think it was a Williams? I am looking for one of these sights as well. I have some pics if you like.

3 things I need to complete this rifle are some 5 or 10 round magazines (I have one 5 rd), the front sight hood and of course the peep sight. If I can't find the peep sight, a standard one like the one "someone" (my brother in law...I think) put on it from a BB Gun! I have no idea what happened to the original sight. My step dad possibly took it off to make it less valuable...(long story).

I would appreciate any help on the above if you know anyone with the above parts and prices! Rdogg's pics of his rifle are the same peep sight, except he is missing the peep disk that screws into the rear of the sight.

Sorry for the long message!

Thanks 410bore... have a great day! Will be looking for your answers if you are still around...

Bob