View Single Post

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Liked 372 Times in 176 Posts
Thumbs up Lucid HD7 Gen 3 Review

For some time I've had an interest in the Lucid HD7. After years of paying big bucks for optics from Trijicon, Aimpoint and EoTech, the story of Lucid founder Jason Wilson taking his specs overseas to market a high performance optic for a reasonable price is one I can appreciate... The first two generations of HD7 had semi target turrets. I just couldn't get past that on a red dot sight, so I declined to purchase one (I know, that's a bit shallow).

Low and behold, the latest version (Gen 3) has properly capped adjustment turrets. I promptly ordered one from Optics Planet for $213 shipped for my M&P 15/22.

The HD7 is a red dot optic with 4 user select-able reticles. It runs on one AAA battery. I have no idea about battery life since my optic is new enough that I've only zeroed it and played around with it in varying lighting around home.

The auto brightness feature is very nice. Interestingly, auto brightness mode seems able to dim down more for low light shooting than the manual mode. The combo of auto mode and the small dot reticle works very well at night. This is an area where many cheaper red dots are to bright.

If you're in auto mode in a shaded area shooting into bright sunlight, a quick switch to manual mode will get you back in the game quickly. Brightness in daylight conditions is fine. I am liking the auto brightness mode and have wondered for years why the expensive EoTech and Aimpoint sights I've used didn't offer this feature.

The HD7 has an integral mount that will give an absolute cowitness on an AR flat top. It attaches with two 13mm nuts. Be sure not to overtorque them. My optic is torqued finger tight with a 13mm deepwell socket, no ratchet used. It would be awesome if the next generation took ACOG mounts. Then a throw lever mount could be used.

The overall dimensions and look of the HD7 fit the 15/22 perfectly. The rubber armor should help keep things looking good while training with the rifle. Lucid claims the sight is water/shock proof.

So far, my only negative reaction to the sight is its tube type design. That isn't a problem, but I am used to the wide open view of the EoTech 552. As a former Aimpoint user, I'll get used to the HD7.

Lucid offers a screw in 2x converter. Next time I order I need to pick one up and give it a try. It is nice to have the option.

I look forward to training/plinking with the Lucid sighted 15/22. Should be some serious fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2738.jpg (196.5 KB, 1994 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2746.jpg (180.8 KB, 1650 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2743.jpg (75.5 KB, 2383 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2754.jpg (38.9 KB, 1582 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2758.jpg (87.0 KB, 1717 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: