View Single Post

Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Neither Brownells or Midway had the factory rear M&P sight in stock when I checked the other day, so I decided to call S&W. The CS person told me over the phone in the most serious way that the rear sight is a restricted part that only an armorer can buy. When I mean in a serious way, you would of thought I asked him if they could sell the blueprints to up-coming projects.

Luckily I checked Brownells again last night and saw they had it in stock again which seems anyone can buy.

REAR SIGHT | Brownells
That is a dandy idea on S&W's part given the number of slides damaged or ruined because people cannot get it through their heads that (1) the little set screw is NOT what holds the sight in place, (2) the sights are held in place by an "interference fit," (3) S&W uses a hydraulic machine to install both the front and rear sights, (4) even with a "sight pusher," moving the sights is next to impossible most of the time unless you have the strength of Hercules to turn the cork screw on those tools - and if it is too easy, shooting will result in your sight "drifting" on its own because that tiny set screw will not hold them in place, even with Loctite, (5) use of a pin punch will leave ugly marks on the sight or, if you "miss," on the slide, or such use will crack or break night sight vials causing all sorts of other problems, (6) after market sight makers tell you otherwise so you will buy their sights thinking all it takes to install them is to loosen the little set screw, (7) too many replacements and all of the friction or interference is gone requiring an oversize sight or a new slide to really hold; and, (8) aftermarket sights really don't help you become a better shot - they only add to the cost of your pistol and their installation usually detracts from its value.