Thread: 22 ammo prices
View Single Post

Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

I took along 15 of the 550 bulk packs. I also had 8 of the older Winchester bricks of 500. My son brought along maybe a half dozen 550s, and our table partner also had maybe 10 bricks. We priced it too low at $55 and we were the cheapest in the room. That resulted in all our 22s b eing snapped up well before noon. Others who wanted to look at their ammo longer priced it at $65 and $75. We kind of left early because we were sold out. At 2:00 there were still vendors with their $75 boxes. I'd guess the $65 sellers hated us, but they probably also sold out. Looks to me like the panic is in full swing and getting stronger, not weaker. I think I could have sold 50 more at our prices. We had lots of lookers who told us they'd be back because they wanted to walk the room first, sure we'd still have some in a couple of hours. Didn't happen like that.

Our other ammo wasn't selling at all. 9mm at $35 drew little interest. 38 S&W the same thing. Anyone with .223 for under a dollar a shot was selling fast, too.

On the bright side...if there was one, it seemed like the loading supplies guy was doing a booming business. I stood in line for maybe 20 minutes to pay for 4# of 2400 and 8# of 4350. The guy had lots of other powders, and even primers except small. He had a few boxes of small rifle with some advertising that it was for .223 at $54.+ per 1000. He also had primed .223 cases, but I forget how much. It seemed like the guys were pacing themselves so as not to get tired. They were spending more time BSing than anything you might imagine as work. One lazy WalMart clerk could have move the line along 3 or 4 times as fast.

He did have 3 boxes of A-max 80 grain for $120/600. This is a seller who normally has table after groaning table filled with .50 cal cans of bullets. Not today.