View Single Post

Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked 123 Times in 54 Posts
Default M&P 10 Range review

Here is a short range review I wrote a couple of days ago on picking up my M&P 10:

My M&P 10 arrived at the dealer this afternoon. I picked it up after work and brought her home. The M&P seems well made and finished. The trigger is not bad for an AR pattern gun, very little creep with a decent pull. The only thing on the gun I would call cheap is the handguard. I plan on installing a free floating rail handguard so not an issue for me.

I had some daylight left so I decided to go shooting. I cleaned the bore, slapped on a scope and bipod and took her to my shooting spot.

I used 6 rounds of LC66 7.62 ball to dial in the scope. I then shot some 3 shot groups using handloads of 43 grains of Varget behind Hornady 168 grain Match HPBT bullets. I shot 3 round groups because of lack of time and ammo.
Well I’m pleasantly surprised. My first group was .727”. Next group was .913”. The last group would have been great but I pulled the last shot.

I’m pleased. There were no malfunctions and this gun will obviously shoot MOA or better if I do my part. I think S&W has a winner here.

I shot it again this afternoon with Hornady 168 grain HPBT bullets in front of Varget. All groups were around an inch or better.

A few more thoughts. S&W says it can take a low profile DPMS spec rail system. They recommend Troy or Apex. S&W says the receiver extension tube, buffer, spring and bolt carrier are proprietary and not compatible with Armalite or DPMS. The extension tube is mil-spec diameter but longer than a typical carbine tube. The bolt and barrel extension are also proprietary so it won't take a DPMS or Armalite barrel. I'm happy with the S&W barrel so that's not something I'm worried about for now. Oh, the barrel is not chrome lined but is melonite treated inside and out.

I have a 12" Troy TRX-308 Battle Rail, low profile gas block and VLTOR iMod stock on the way.

Hope this helps.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: