Thread: All things .380
View Single Post

Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked 6,614 Times in 2,198 Posts

Until recently, the last .380 I owned and carried was a Beretta 84, and it's been more than 25 years since I owned and carried that one.

Last Fall I tried a friend's LCP, compared it to a BG380, and surprised myself by buying a LCP.

Why? Because it slips into some pants & jacket pockets that are too small for my J-frames. Simple as that.

I'd heard some good reports of the LCP's functioning from some of our folks carrying them, and my friend had nothing but good things to say about his (and he's another firearms instructor of many years experience).

My LCP has reliably fed & fired the FMJFP practice ammo we use, as well as Rem 102gr GS, Speer 90gr GDHP & Win 95gr T-Series.

The practical accuracy of my LCP has been surprisingly good. Although the sights are rudimentary and hard to see well (reminds me of older J-frame irons), if there's enough light to see and pick them up, the little gun will produce a ragged hole using any of the above ammunition out to 5 yds. I can achieve small fist-sized groups from 7-12 yds, and respectable groups beyond that range. At 1-3 yds, shooting fast-paced shot strings 1-handed hip/center-indexed, it'll produce fist-sized groups. That ought to be decent enough for my intended needs.

While I'd prefer one of my J-frames, I can carry the LCP in some instances where I can't conceal one of my J-frames (and when I don't want to wear a larger belt gun).

I'd have picked up a BG380, except the LCP is a little smaller and I didn't want the added bulk of the integral laser. The BG380 has better sights, and the grip is just enough larger that it might be preferable for some folks.

The littlest .380's aren't for everybody. (Neither are the 5-shot .38 snubs. )

I've found a use for mine as one of my retirement weapons ... but I'm not going to try and make it into something that it isn't. Given my druthers, I'd much prefer to have a 125gr, 130gr, 135gr or 158gr bullet weight ... which means one of my J-frames ... but there have been times when one of my J-'s just didn't work with my chosen dress of the circumstances.

I'm no longer required to wear a belt gun every day, nor do I wish to do so in many circumstances. For most instances where I don't feel the need to belt on one of my 9, .40 or .45's, I can slip a J-frame into a pocket holster and go about my daily activities.

For those times when even the J's are a bit too large or heavy, though?

Well, after more than 25 years I've found a diminutive pocket pistol chambered in .380 which can fill a role, for me.

It's a larger caliber than the assorted .22, .25 & .32 offerings, and there's been some development in the defensive ammunition being offered.

It's still not a .38 S&W Special ... but I can carry it when I can't carry one of my .38's, or at least not as easily. That works for me.