View Single Post

Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default Anyone here consolidate to only 1 caliber?

Just a random musing...

Of my handgun centerfire calibers, I shoot and own 9mm, 357mag, and 44mag.

I don't currently own a 45, but I've definitely shot a lot of handguns (and frequently) in this caliber.

Lately, ammo and reloading components are still hard to come by in my area at a decent price and even though I do reload, I have a very modest setup. So reloading is kind of slow, but I don't frequent the range as much as I used to so its not too bad (used to go 2-3x a week, now I'm lucky if I even get that per month).

So I was thinking if it'd be a good idea to just consolidate to 1 caliber. It'd allow me to streamline my reloading and I can just stockpile 1 caliber that I'll stick with. Currently, splitting up calibers means I might never get enough of any 1 caliber.

If I do decide to consolidate to 1 caliber, it'll probably be 45ACP. It'll also mean I'd probably have to reorganize my collection. I'd have to sell/trade some and somewhere along the lines replace those with a S&W 625, 1911, and a Glock 30.

Anyone else go through this type of transition, what are your thoughts/experience? Mind you, I've already streamlined some of my calibers because in the past, I had 40SW and 357SIG as well. Good idea? Bad idea?

The one bad point that immediately comes to mind.. 45ACP is probably one of the most sought after brass, etc. So I'd be competing with everyone else to get my grubby paws on the brass.

Other point of contention is that 357 was the first caliber I started off on. SO it'll always have a soft place in my heart and I already have a ton of brass for it. If I decide to streamline, I wanna go all the way. I'm not looking to add another caliber to reload in.

Last edited by Gorenut; 03-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.