View Single Post

Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

You have obviously done some research. All the powders you have selected are perfectly acceptable for the two cartridges you will be loading.

Part of the fun of this, at least for me is experimenting. I have not used every powder you have listed but have used most of them and many you have not listed.

If you go to Burn Rate you can see a burn rate chart for powders. Generally speaking, the faster burning powders are better for target/plinking loads and tend to burn more completely at low density loads. Some of the slower powders don’t do as well at light target loads and perform more efficiently at higher density/higher pressure loads. This isn’t true all the time but for me has been true most of the time.

All of these powders are capable of outstanding accuracy when you achieve the right combination.

Some people have a preference for a certain type. I use a lot of HP38/W231 and Universal. These all meter very well and perform well in lots of pistol calibers. HS6 is also very nice. I use some of the others as well, just not as much, or maybe with only a specific bullet pistol combination.

Just about any fast or medium powder you buy will do a good job and I don’t think I’ve ever used one I really just hated. I have done considerable load development with HP38/W231 and Universal so it is easy for me to just look up a past good performing load and load up a thousand. Others have done load development or are more familiar with a different powder so they will likely recommend their old standby. They all behave a little differently, especially with lead bullets.

The only recommendation, which doesn’t really answer your question, is to experiment and find the one that you like best. That is part of the fun!