SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,070 Times in 2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Bullseye
Red Dot
Unique

Older proven powders, lots of data in manuals for working up loads and generally found on dealer's shelf.

I used to try new powders when they would come out but many went out of business and left me without much data. Just try finding data for Alcan, Thunderbird and B-West powder's now ...it ain't there no more.

I now stick to the older standard powders that seem to stand the test of time. If you can't get loading data it doesn't matter how good the powder is, it's useless.

Gary
You're saying newer powders are hard to find data for loading and say older powders are a better choice but them complain about not being able to find data for Alcan powders which actually are older powders. That's a contradictory statement.

You list the original "Powder Trinity" of Bullseye, Unique and 2400 which are good powders but IMO dirty. I prefer my "Powder Trinity" of W231(HP-38), W540(HS-6) and W296(H110). Like your powder choices, my powder trinity can also load any handgun cartridge too.

IMO neither choices are wrong but only a matter of preference. It's good for new loaders to consider all powders now available. When we were stuck with only a few choices we had no choice but now with all the powders available I see no reason not to at least give them a try.
SWCA #3437
The Following User Likes This Post: